So, some of you might have noticed that around January, my name changed. You might have guessed that it was because I got married. Let me tell you, changing my name across all social media was a huge pain in the ass. I am still seeing my maiden name popping up in a few places. Hopefully I’ll have it eradicated soon.
I didn’t think about this decision a lot until I was listening to a podcast from All Indie Writers. The host, Jennifer Mattern, was talking about branding yourself as a writer, when she mentioned that this name that we knew her by was her maiden name. She didn’t go by her married name in her public life.
Now, before I go any farther, I am not, in any way saying that that’s a bad thing. I just realized that it was a choice that she’d made, and it was a choice that I made.
My maiden name was something that I associate with my past. And my past is not so great. I’ve got three published pieces under Nicole Ford, and a whole lot of emotional baggage.
Luttrell is a name I chose when I agreed to marry my husband. It’s his, but now it’s mine, too. Anything I publish from now on, even down to the posts here on Paper Beats World, will have that name on it. Nicole Luttrell. It represents the creation of a family I chose, of a future I chose, and a life I chose. (Que Let it Go here.) It represents my present, and my future. It wasn’t a choice made from some patriarchal guilt. It is me, declaring myself to be a different person than the one I was years before. I love that.
So, about the writing, which is what you come here to hear about, after all.
Things That Rocked This Week-
- My blog feed has been blowing up with some great inspirational pieces from some amazing entrepreneurial ladies. ByRegina, Elle & Co, Tipsy Writer, I’ve been loving them all. And I’ve got so many new ideas, I’m having a hard time deciding what to work on next.
- I got the opportunity to join in with Tipsy Writer’s weekly twitter chat, and meet some awesome new creative people. It’s every Tuesday at 8:30, and if you’re not already following her on twitter, go do it now.
- I am pumping out some awesome short fiction, and I am ready to get back in the game. Glimmer Train’s deadline for the quarter is coming up on May 31, and I think my piece should be ready in time.
Things I’m looking forward to this week-
- This is the week of editing. I’ve got some pieces I’ve got to take a red pen to, and that’s always satisfying.
- Still plugging away at the fourth draft of Broken Patterns. But my lovely hubby installed Drop Box on everything we own, so I can share it with him as I’m writing, being my own live in editor as he is.
- I am very close to finishing the prep work for the super fantastic surprise I have for you all in August! Are you curious yet? I can not wait to tell you all about it. It’s like waiting to give my kids their Christmas presents, I swear.
- I’ve got some time put aside this week to work on your special gift this month. It’s something new, something I’ve never done before, and I’m a little anxious, not gonna lie.
What’s going on in your world this week? Let me know in the comment section below!