So, some of you might have noticed that around January, my name changed. You might have guessed that it was because I got married. Let me tell you, changing my name across all social media was a huge pain in the ass. I am still seeing my maiden name popping up in a few places. Hopefully I’ll have it eradicated soon.
I didn’t think about this decision a lot until I was listening to a podcast from All Indie Writers. The host, Jennifer Mattern, was talking about branding yourself as a writer, when she mentioned that this name that we knew her by was her maiden name. She didn’t go by her married name in her public life.
Now, before I go any farther, I am not, in any way saying that that’s a bad thing. I just realized that it was a choice that she’d made, and it was a choice that I made.
My maiden name was something that I associate with my past. And my past is not so great. I’ve got three published pieces under Nicole Ford, and a whole lot of emotional baggage.
Luttrell is a name I chose when I agreed to marry my husband. It’s his, but now it’s mine, too. Anything I publish from now on, even down to the posts here on Paper Beats World, will have that name on it. Nicole Luttrell. It represents the creation of a family I chose, of a future I chose, and a life I chose. (Que Let it Go here.) It represents my present, and my future. It wasn’t a choice made from some patriarchal guilt. It is me, declaring myself to be a different person than the one I was years before. I love that.
So, about the writing, which is what you come here to hear about, after all.
Things That Rocked This Week-
- My blog feed has been blowing up with some great inspirational pieces from some amazing entrepreneurial ladies. ByRegina, Elle & Co, Tipsy Writer, I’ve been loving them all. And I’ve got so many new ideas, I’m having a hard time deciding what to work on next.
- I got the opportunity to join in with Tipsy Writer’s weekly twitter chat, and meet some awesome new creative people. It’s every Tuesday at 8:30, and if you’re not already following her on twitter, go do it now.
- I am pumping out some awesome short fiction, and I am ready to get back in the game. Glimmer Train’s deadline for the quarter is coming up on May 31, and I think my piece should be ready in time.
Things I’m looking forward to this week-
- This is the week of editing. I’ve got some pieces I’ve got to take a red pen to, and that’s always satisfying.
- Still plugging away at the fourth draft of Broken Patterns. But my lovely hubby installed Drop Box on everything we own, so I can share it with him as I’m writing, being my own live in editor as he is.
- I am very close to finishing the prep work for the super fantastic surprise I have for you all in August! Are you curious yet? I can not wait to tell you all about it. It’s like waiting to give my kids their Christmas presents, I swear.
- I’ve got some time put aside this week to work on your special gift this month. It’s something new, something I’ve never done before, and I’m a little anxious, not gonna lie.
What’s going on in your world this week? Let me know in the comment section below!
My self published picture book is sitting on shelf in my local book store, which is a BIG achievement for me! Looking to finish the last 2 assignments of writing 101. Having so much fun with these, and creativity is flowing. Look forward to following your writing journey Nicole! 🙂
That is so awesome! I love your artwork, it’s really stellar.