Every year I post a gift list for writers and readers. So every year, it becomes harder not to repeat myself more than I already do. I really had trouble when I sat down this year, trying to think of something that hasn’t already been suggested. I didn’t just want to post a list of links to things that you can buy that happen to be super popular right now.
Basically, what I’m saying is that this post is going to ramble a little. I have some direct suggestions, a little bit of advice, and some links. None of these is affiliate, I’m not making any money if you click on these.
One thing I try to do every year is suggest gifts that you can give people that don’t cost any money, only time. Normally I suggest things that other people can do for writers. But, as many of you are writers yourself, I thought I’d give you a list of things you can do for your family.
- Plan a whole day off, as often as you can, to be a parent, partner, friend. This is one that I try to do at least once a month. Most days, I feel like I’m focusing on my to-do list, and not my kids and spouse. I decided to change that in 2017. I planned coffee shop trips and date nights with the kids and my darling husband, to make sure that I’m getting one on one time with all of them. But we also plan fun days. These are whole days I don’t do any writing or chores. We both just focus on the kids and each other.
- Remember your supportive family. The people in your life who help you out with your writing. Maybe they take the kids off your hands so you can write. Maybe they pick up extra chores to give you more time. Maybe they just listen to your endless writing rants. Whatever it is, give them some extra love back. Pick up some chores for them, or watch their kids.
And if you do want to spend money on someone, I have three suggestions for you.
- A subscription to a subscription box that will make your loved one’s life easier. Snack subscriptions are awesome, but get creative! There’s a subscription box that sends hair ties and bobby pins every month! Because those suckers are sentient and they do run back to the manufacturer to be resold and we all know it.
- Donate to Puerto Rico relief or their favorite charity of choice.
- Finally, I can’t suggest enough the YBY 2018. Literally, I already have the digital version and have read it like three times. Oh, and this year Lisa made one for nonbusiness type people! Which I think was brilliant. Because not everyone is a crazy person who’s trying to start their own business. Some people are just living their lives. This will help them live their lives better.
Oh, and here are some gifts that I have for you!
Seeming, Station 86 Book One, is totally free this weekend, for Black Friday and Cyber Monday! Click here to get a totally free e-copy for yourself or as a gift. (You don’t have to tell anyone it was free.)
You Can’t Trust The AI will be on sale from November 28th to the 30th. It’s only 99 cents. You can have both of the books, spend only a dollar, and be totally ready for Virus when it starts on the 29th. Don’t forget both Seeming and You Can’t Trust The AI have extra episodes that were never on PBW.
I hope this quick gift list helps you out this holiday season. And please post below, telling us the best gift anyone has ever given you below.